Dr. Oz examined the hidden dangers of microwave popcorn to enlighten his audience on why microwave popcorn is bad for their health. If you are just concerned about calories in microwave popcorn, then it is time you considered its carcinogenic (cancer-causing) properties, especially in its polythene packaging, making it dangerous. Here is a review of warnings by Dr. Oz on the dangers during the May 1, 2014 episode of The Dr. Oz Show with guest Pediatrician Alan Greene.
Did you know that microwave popcorn has side effects on your health? Make no mistake about it, popcorn itself is one good and healthy snack, but it can quickly turn into something toxic when you eat and carry it into the body with other chemicals. These are the common questions we keep asking ourselves:
- Is microwave popcorn healthy?
- Is microwave popcorn safe?
- Is microwave popcorn bad for you?
- Why is microwave popcorn bad?
- How many calories in microwave popcorn?
All these are valid questions, and Dr. Oz had answers for us in his microwave popcorn-bashing show on Wednesday 01 of May 2014. Here is what Doctors Alan Greene and Oz Mehmet advised on the dangers and side effects of microwave popcorn.
Dr. Oz: Dangers of Microwave Popcorn
What are the dangers of eating microwave popcorn? In some disturbing news, Dr. Oz revealed something about “popcorn lung,” warning his viewers of the health risks of eating this snack as he pointed out the hidden dangers.
When you open that bag of popcorn, you could actually be opening the door to your lung cancer ward according to what the doctor revealed. The smell that emanates from opening a polythene bag of microwave popcorn is “a chemical called diacetyl, a synthetic butter flavoring added to the product.”
Risk of “Popcorn Lung”
- According to research, people who had time working in some factories and were exposed to this chemical found in microwave popcorn developed a health risk and problem called “popcorn lung.” This was due to their inhaling of the gases with small amounts of diacetyl.
- Dr. Oz went ahead to warn that those people who make microwave popcorn are exposed to the danger and risk of developing lung problems.
- The buttery smell and flavor that you enjoy in the snack is associated with dangers of microwave popcorn. Diacetyl is associated with lung disease.
PFOA Carcinogen Lung Cancer Danger
Perfluorooctanoic acid, commonly referred to as PFOA lines the plastic bags of most microwave popcorn brands and varieties. This chemical is used because of its ability to make the inside of the bags non-sticky. However, the real danger is that when it gets inside our bodies, it forms a certain dangerous toxic buildup that is not easy to get rid of.
- The Environmental Protection Agency has in the past classified PFOA as carcinogenic. This substance is commonly found in Teflon pots and pans.
- Fast foods such as candy, and pizzas are wrapped in the dangerous fluorotelomer coatings.
- Bladder cancer has also been associated with PFOA. This chemical is capable of inflaming the bladder, causing it to bleed.
Other side effects and microwave popcorn dangers is thyroid disease and respiratory problems as warned by Dr. Oz. Breathing problems are a direct side effect of this chemical as it creates holes in lungs.
Safe, Diacetyl-Free and non-GMO Microwave Popcorn?
Is microwave popcorn bad for you? Not all. Some brands are safe according to many sources. The qualities to look for if you are a fan of popcorn are: free of diacetyl, not GMO and a brand of popcorn that does not contain trans fats. Here are a few good suggestions:
- Newman’s Organic Microwave Popcorn
- Bearitos Organic Popcorn
- Quinn Popcorn (No trans fat; no diacetyl; organic)
Is Microwave Popcorn Healthy or Bad for You?
Microwave popcorn has a long shelf life, just like most of the packaged foods. In the recent years, questions have been asked to clarify whether trans-fats used in most of these long-shelf life foods are healthy and safe or bad for human consumption.
Unhealthy trans fats have been recently linked with obesity and other diet related health problems. The use of this fat makes microwave popcorn bad for you. So, what does Dr. Oz recommend? Dr. Oz recommends that you never inhale the fumes emitted by the popcorn, and try with every effort not to eat it. In case you buy microwave popcorn, go for non-GMO and organic brands without diacetyl such as the ones listed above.
Now you know the dangers of microwave popcorn and why microwave popcorn is bad. Take precautions with your health, including preparing air-popped popcorn on your stove at home. The more you escape packaged and ready popcorn, the better the decision will be for your health.
More Dr. Oz News, Recommendations & Recaps
- Five Bite Diet for Weight Loss – Review by Dr. Oz, Results, Success, Forum
- Mega Natural Metabolism Boosters by Dr. Oz for Weight Loss
- Dr. Oz Recommends Caffeine and Retinol Creams for Cellulite