Cure for excessive sweating may be medical or even simple natural cures. Below, find out how to cure excessive underarm sweating, palms or hands and legs. Covered options include iontophorensis for hyperhidrosis, botox injections, natural treatments, use of best antiperspirants, surgery and oral medications.
Causes of Excessive Sweating Face
You can try the different methods of stopping hyperhidrosis before opting for available cures for excessive sweating. There are 3 different types of excessive sweating, each with its own causes. These are generalized hyperhidrosis, secondary focal hyperhidrosis and primary focal hyperhidrosis. Doctors recommend good options such as SweatBlock Antiperspirant before going for treatments such as surgery.
The causes of excessive sweating face in a nutshell include the following:
- Physical ailments such as spinal cord injury
- Emotional conditions such as anxiety
- Certain medications
- Hormonal changes
- Hot caffeinated drinks
- Excess weight or obesity
- Some spicy foods
- Wearing synthetic fabrics will increase perspiration
- Self-tanners and sunscreen
- Alcohol and cigarette smoking
Read more on what causes excessive sweating . Depending on the causes of excessive sweating, it might be easy or difficult to stop too much perspiration. However, various treatment options are available to help control the problem. Below, we are going to discuss the available treatment options.
Excessive Sweating Treatments
So far, there aren’t any oral medications used as cures that produce significant benefit. Most people opt for antiperspirants to stop profuse sweating, though this does not offer a permanent solution to the problem. Excessive sweating cures such as best antidepressants and using pads may be used as cures for excessive armpit sweating. However, they do not stand to offer a permanent solution to the problem. Let us look at all the options of treatment.
Best Antiperspirants to Stop Sweating
Yes, as already noted, the easiest way to stop excessive perspiration is to use antiperspirants. You will have to use antiperspirants for excessive underarm sweat, palm sweat and sometimes perspiration on feet in order to control the problem. Most antiperspirants contain aluminum salts so that they form a lug that blocks perspiration from escaping the pores. Most antiperspirants are sold over the counter and come with a deodorant for armpit odor caused by the excess sweating.
The deodorant does not work as a treatment. It will only help control the odor. The option for deodorants and antiperspirants is taken by many people as the go-to medication because of fear of exposing themselves. That is why most people keep searching for the best antiperspirant and deodorant. Use this as a temporary measure to stop the problem and not a cure for it. The underlying cause has to be eliminated.
In case using regular antiperspirant does not stop the problem, your general practitioner is likely to opt for prescription antiperspirant. However, the concept is the same because it is aluminum chloride that is used to treat too much perspiration. So, you will be referred to a dermatologist for additional consultation.
Options for curing excessive sweating at this stage will include Iontophoresis, botulinum toxin or surgery. We will look at each one in detail below starting with Iontophoresis. Iontophoresis is an effective treatment for excessive palm sweating. The method can also be used to cure profuse perspiration in the armpits although it is found to be less effective for this. Current is used to block sweat glands and stop excessive sweating.
treatment procedure is not painful, but the electric current used may cause some feeling of irritation and discomfort on the skin. Every session of Iontophoresis for perspiration will last about 20 to 30 minutes. The process is said to be 80% to 90% effective as a remedy. You can read more on the details of Iontophoresis treatment for sweaty hands and feet.
Botulinum Toxin Treatment for Profuse Sweating on Face
This is a relatively new treatment for hyperhidrosis. The botulinum toxin is made of a powerful protein that can be used safely in very small doses. The method has been approved by the FDA in the United States for treating axillary sweating, also known as excessive underarm sweating.
However, Botox has not been approved for excessive sweating for palms and feet yet, though it is sometimes practiced by some dermatologists. But how does Botox injection work as a cure? You will be given between 12 and 20 injections of Botox on the underarms, palms, feet and even face.
The procedure for botox treatment will take about 45 minutes and the toxin works by blocking signals from the brain to the sweat glands, which trigger sweating, thus reducing the amount of sweat the body produces. The costs of botulinium toxin injection will vary depending on the part of the body you would like treated. For instance, normal cost ranges for treating excessive facial sweating is about $150 while that for excessive armpit sweating is about $400.
Once given Botox treatment, the effect will last for a minimum of 2 months and a maximum of 8 months. Further remedy may be needed.
Surgery for Excessive Sweating Treatment
Srugery is also known as Endoscopic thoracic sympathy (ETS). Otherwise called Video-Assisted Thoracic Sympathectomy, VATS is one of the most widely used surgical procedures. Surgery for profuse sweating treatment is usually recommended when other cures for excessive sweating have failed. There are various surgical procedures used as remedies for excessive sweating.
Gland Removal: Where there is excessive armpit sweating, surgical removal of sweat glands may be performed as a treatment for excessive sweating. Small incisions may be made and liposuction equipment and procedures used in the surgery process to remove the sweat glands in the armpits.
Surgery: Nerve surgery treatment for profuse perspiration is used in severe cases of hyperhidrosis. This process is commonly used when the patient does not respond to other treatment options and suffers from excessive sweat on feet, face and palms. The doctor or surgeon will suggest a procedure that burns, cuts or clamps the spinal nerves that control sweating on your hands and feet. In some cases, this medication may cause profuse perspiration in other body parts.
Oral Medications to Stop Sweating Face
Oral medications are also used. These are not preferred as cures, but your doctor may prescribe them. Normally, anticholinergic drugs are prescribed. Oral medications work by blocking nerve communication that relays information to cause excessive perspiration.
The medications simply work by blocking chemicals that permit certain nerves to communicate with each other, thus stopping activation of sweat glands. Oral medications for excessive sweating come with their own side effects, such as blurred vision, dry mouth, bladder problems and heart palpitations.
Although changing your lifestyle may not really be a solution, you can easily control profuse sweating and the odor if you practice a few control measures that depend heavily on your lifestyle. The following are some of the lifestyle tips and natural cures for excessive sweating that you should couple with the treatment you are using.
- Simply avoid the known triggers of profuse sweating that make your sweating even worse. These may include alcohol, cigarette and alcohol.
- Instead of using deodorants as treatment, use antiperspirants more, though it is advised that you try to go for medical examination to determine the type of problem you have.
- Sometimes wearing either black or white clothing will surely help minimize the signs of too much sweating.
- Choose your socks carefully. Socks that absorb perspiration would be very good. Therefore, choose thick socks made of natural fibers. Change your socks at least two times a day.
- Wear armpit sweat pads or shields, which will absorb excessive perspiration and protect your clothes. Use this as a temporary measure as you look for a permanent solution.
- Avoid clothes made of manmade fibers such as nylon. You will be surprised that even a person without hyperhidrosis will start suffering from too much perspiration because of wearing nylon clothes. Other than offering a solution, some doctors will stop you from wearing such outfits.
- Another simple remedy is to buy shoes that are made of mesh, canvas or leather and not synthetic material.
- Home remedies for excessive sweating such as yoga, biofeedback and meditation can also help with the problem. These home remedies or natural treatments for excessive sweating, according to Mayo Clinic, will help you learn how to control stress triggers of perspiration.
- Anther simple home remedy that works is bathing daily. It will keep the number of bacteria on your skin in check.
Hyperhidrosis can be very distressing especially if you are not able to find a working medication. You may have trouble working or even enjoying your recreational activities because of wet feet, hands, underarms or even face. People like Anna and Robin easily feel embarrassed and become withdrawn and self-conscious especially when they are not able to find a solution. It is normal to be frustrated or upset by other people’s reactions and even the process of seeking medication. I advise that besides talking to your doctor, it would be very important to talk to a counselor. You can also talk and connect with other people seeking cure for excessive sweating online. I will help you learn a lot on how to deal with the problem.
More on Excessive Sweating – Hyperhidrosis
- Sweaty Feet – Causes, Prevention and Cures of Profuse Sweating
- Sweaty Armpits – Causes, Prevention and Cures for Axillary Hyperhidrosis
- Excessive Sweating – Causes and Treatment to Stop Hyperhidrosis
- Sweaty Palms – Causes, Prevention and Cure for Sweaty Hands