Here are the best ways on how to lighten hair at home. Whether you want to bleach blonde hair or dark colored hair, we have some of the best home remedies for lightening hair fast, including arm hair.
How can I lighten my hair at home? If this question sounds familiar to you, then you are in the right place. This article will share with you some of the best ways to lighten hair at home. We’ll also discuss some of the most popular and effective home remedies to lighten hair. And if lightening your arm hair tickles your fancy, we have as well got you covered.
Home Remedies to Lighten Hair
If you want to lighten your hair but are concerned about the harmful effects of harsh hair dyes which often make you end up with dry hair, then you will delight to know that there are many home remedies that you can opt for. And the best part; most of these remedies use ingredients that are readily available at home. Here are some of them:
Lemon juice is one of the most popular hair lightening remedies. Lemon juice requires to be diluted with water before it can be used on your hair; otherwise, it can leave your hair dry or make it gray.
- To a gallon of water, mix ½ glass of water with ½ glass of lemon. 1:1 is the ideal dilution ration but you can have more water if you want more subtle effect.
- Rinse your hair with the solution and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing your hair with cold water.
- If possible dry your hair in the sun.
- Repeat the procedure every day for best results. Remember that the lightening effect from the use of lemon juice is rather mild and it may take several treatment sessions to see considerable results. Once you have achieved satisfactory results with regard to your hair color, reduce the concentration of the lemon juice gradually.
If you look around, you will find many other home remedies combinations containing lemon juice as one of the ingredients such as:
Lemon juice + Olive oil
Add 2 drops of olive oil to a ½ glass of lemon juice and follow the instructions explained above. Olive oil does a great job at protecting the hair strands from damage.
Lemon juice + Conditioner
Some hair care experts recommend using a hair conditioner to dilute the lemon juice rather than water before sitting in the sun for 15 to 20 minutes. Finish by rinsing your hair with cold water.
Rhubarb also holds a special place among home remedies to lighten hair. To 2 cups of boiling water, add ¼ cup of chopped rhubarb. Allow the mixture to cool and rinse your hair with it.
Black tea is also a common home remedy that you can use to lighten your hair. Simply prepare a cup of black tea at normal strength, and then use it to rinse your hair once it has cooled down (after straining it of course). It is advisable to test the tea on one strand to see the results; sometimes the hair can get darker rather than lighten up especially is it already have a light shade.
Chamomile flowers are another simple home remedy that you can use to lighten your hair. To a cup of boiling water, add a few chamomile flowers and leave the mixture for half an hour before straining it. Rinse your hair with the solution and allow it to remain in your hair for 15 minutes before washing it off with cold water. Repeat the process 3 times a day.
How to Lighten Hair at Home Fast
Here are some more ways to lighten hair at home fast:
Lighten Dark Hair Using Honey
Honey contains small traces of hydrogen peroxide which is a great ingredient for hair lightening. To use this natural home remedy, add a tablespoon of honey into a cup of cold water and apply it to your hair for half an hour. Honey can also used in a mixture with the normal hair conditioner.
Ground Cinnamon Lightening
Ground cinnamon is also a great way to lighten your hair fast without using natural hair dyes. To add highlights or lighten your hair using this remedy, add 3 tbsp of ground cinnamon to a hair conditioner and then apply it to your hair. Use a wide-toothed comb to spread it into your hair and then use a plastic cap to cover your hair for an hour or two. Finally rinse your hair off with water.
How to lighten your hair fast with a combined remedy
Mix 1 cup honey, 1 cup deep conditioner, 2 tbsp ground cinnamon, and 2 tbsp lemon juice in a bowl. Stir the ingredients to create a smooth paste before applying it to wet hair. This will lighten your hair but if you want to highlight a small area, apply the paste on the required hair strands. Now use a plastic cap to cover your hair for 3 to 4 hours (or even overnight) before rinsing the hair with cold water. Repeat several times to get the desired results.
How to Lighten Dark Hair at Home
Dark hair, or black hair if you like is naturally beautiful but you may want to lighten it for a change or to make a fashion statement with highlights.
If you are looking to lighten your dark hair at home, you have several options to choose from ranging from natural bleaching agents that are most likely already available in your home to cheap ingredients that you can get easily from a grocery store.
We have already looked at some natural lightening remedies in the above sections. In addition to those natural home remedies, here are some other ways to lighten dark hair at home:
Home dye: If you want to lighten your hair fast without having to wait a few weeks for the light shade to take effect on your hair, you can opt to use a home dye kit. Stick to a color specified for use on black or dark hair. It is also suggested that you test the dye on one or two strands (or locks) first to see the result before progressing on to the whole head.
Lightening shampoo and conditioner: These days there are special shampoos and conditioners formulated to lighten hair after several washes. Although they are often marketed for blonde and lighter colors of hair, some people have achieved great results with dark hair. You can get them in your local drugstore or order online. Just check the label for the phrase “lightening shampoo”.
Lightening spray: another possible way to lighten dark hair is to use a lightening spray. These typically contain lemon juice as an ingredient and using them is as simple as spraying the content on wet hair, followed by a rest in the sun (or blow-dryer) to dry the hair.
How to Lighten Blonde Hair at Home – Using Beer
It is reported that around 40 percent of American ladies dye their hair. Hair lightening also appears to elicit considerable interest on beauty and hair care online forums with questions such as “How do you lighten your hair at home?” and “Explain to me how to lighten blonde hair at home” popping up every now and then.
But did you know that beer can be used to give your hair that sun-kissed highlight? Well here is how to lighten hair at home using beer:
- Into a large basin, pour 4 bottles of beer. Use it to wash your hair before covering it with a cap for 1 to 2 hours and avoid the temptation to stick your tongue out (just kidding!).
- Wash of the beer with cold water and then apply a moisturizing hair conditioner.
Rinsing your hair with beer not only lighten and make your hair shiny, but also disentangles it and the best part? It is all “natural” (if beer is indeed a natural substance).
How to Lighten Arm Hair at Home
If you relish the idea of lightening your arm hair at home, then here are a few tips you may want to consider:
- Use hydrogen peroxide: Dilute some hydrogen peroxide with water and apply the mixture to your arms using a cotton ball. Getting some sunlight can also boost the effect of hydrogen peroxide.
- Get some sunlight: Sunshine also helps to lighten your arm hair. It is however advisable to protect your skin with a sunscreen and by covering the rest of your body with towel.
- Apply some lemon juice diluted with water
- Apply some lightening cream. Follow the instructions carefully
More on Bleaching Hair
- How to Lighten Brown Hair Gradually
- Best Hair Lightener, Organic and Homemade
- How to Lighten Dark Brown Hair
- Best DIY Hair Lightening Spray for Brunettes
- Best Hair Lightening Shampoo
- Top 5 Natural Hair Lighteners
- Best Products for Dark Hair Lightening
- How to Bleach Arm Hair
- How to Lighten Colored Hair