Is diarrhea a sign of pregnancy or a miscarriage? Does a running stomach mean you are having constipation or just a period? When a pregnancy kicks in, there are a lot of changes that the body goes through. While some are universal, others are unique to a few people.
The many different women there are experience different signs of pregnancy. A single woman also tends to have unique signs in each pregnancy and therefore no experience is similar.
- Is diarrhea a sign of pregnancy or miscarriage?
- Is diarrhea an early sign of pregnancy?
- What causes diarrhea during pregnancy?
- Is constipation and diarrhea a sign of pregnancy?
- Is diarrhea a sign of pregnancy or period?
Diarrhea as a sign of pregnancy is experienced by a number of women and may be amongst the early indicators that one is pregnant. The causes for this are varied as discussed below in this article.
Is Diarrhea a Sign of Pregnancy or Miscarriage?
- Is Diarrhea a Sign of Pregnancy or Miscarriage?
- Is Diarrhea an Early Sign of Pregnancy?
- What Causes Diarrhea During Pregnancy?
- Is Constipation and Diarrhea a Sign of Pregnancy?
- Is Diarrhea a Sign of Pregnancy or Period?
- More on Symptoms and Signs of Pregnancy:
- See More on Ovulation, Conception & Early Symptoms of Pregnancy.
When a pregnancy is lost within the first twenty weeks of pregnancy, a miscarriage is said to have taken place. They mostly occur as a result of deformities in the chromosomes that are in the fertilized egg. The egg may also fail to attach itself well after fertilization. It grows for some bit but can’t hold on to the walls of the uterus till maturity. This makes it to be expelled from the body.
Diarrhea may be a sign of pregnancy especially during the first trimester. This happens as a result of the many changes that are supposed to take place to give room for a healthy environment for the baby.
There is a general misconception that diarrhea may be a sign of an impending miscarriage. This is not the case. There are many causes for it such as a change in diet and hormonal changes. This does not last long and it subsides within a short time and as the pregnancy progresses. If this is the situation, there are no reasons for any worries.
There are times though that a person should be concerned by light bowl movement. If it is accompanied by feeling nauseous or vomiting, it would be important to see a doctor. At other times, there is a septic miscarriage caused by uterine infection. This may cause diarrhea.
When a miscarriage occurs, a doctor always has to be involved. They will decide if the body is capable of getting rid of the miscarriage tissue or if medical processes will be necessary. This is usually determined by how long one had been into the pregnancy. Any bleeding that comes with aches, a foul smell, some pain and cramping are important to have checked.
Diarrhea does not cause miscarriage but it could increase the risks of it happening. One should not take antibiotics or over the counter medication to cure the diarrhea. The best thing is therefore to keep the doctor well informed so he can help by offering the best advice.
Is Diarrhea an Early Sign of Pregnancy?
Diarrhea does occur along other symptoms such as nausea and vomiting in the early stages of the pregnancy. It mostly doesn’t last too long as the body learns to adjust to the many changes with time. A return of diarrhea in the third trimester may be an indication that it is time for labor.
What Causes Diarrhea During Pregnancy?
So, what causes diarrhea during pregnancy? Is diarrhea a sign of pregnancy? What should one do when they experience a running stomach after conception? Some of the factors contributing to diarrhea during pregnancy are as follows. These should also answer the question “Is diarrhea a sign of pregnancy?” as well as the causes of diarrhea during pregnancy.
- The hormonal changes that occur in the body during pregnancy may offset diarrhea. Increase in the level of hormones is mostly the main culprit responsible for watery bowel movement.
- The nutritional changes that may be suggested by the doctor in order to ensure that the baby is well nourished may not go well with the mother. The drastic change in what one consumes as they try to eliminate unhealthy portions and replace them with foods high in nutritive value may upset the digestive system.
Diarrhea will be experienced until the body gets used to the change of diet. The high water intake that one is involved in may lead to watery diarrhea too.
When it comes to certain foods, the body becomes intolerant and can’t stand them. As soon as they are ingested the body gets a way of flashing them out. The way to avoid this is by knowing the triggers and avoiding them.
- When one gets involved in workouts during pregnancy, a lot of benefits are reapped. These may improve the functioning of the intestines and sleep patterns thus causing diarrhea.
- When one starts taking iron supplements or changes their brand of vitamin supplements, the body may react and the woman may end up having a bout of diarrhea. This change is likely to be the cause of diarrhea during pregnancy.
- Due to increased sensitivity, a woman may be easily susceptible to food poisoning. It is important to ensure that the food a pregnant woman eats is fresh and healthy. Any unpleasant incidences may not auger well with her stomach.
- Condition of maternal gastrointestinal conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease may cause it too.
- Ectopic pregnancy may result to diarrhea in the early months.
- Uterine viral and bacterial infections may also be the reason why one is undergoing the nasty experiences
- Increased water intake during pregnancy leads to de-toxification. As the body flashes out toxins through the water, there is bound to be a bout of diarrhea.
Some of the causes for diarrhea are quite serious and would require to be dealt with as soon as they appear so as to ensure that the wellbeing of the developing baby is well taken care off. Keeping the doctor informed will help him know when it is serious and requires specialized attention.
Is Constipation and Diarrhea a Sign of Pregnancy?
Constipation and diarrhea are both signs of pregnancy. While the former is caused by dehydration and slowed down digestion, the latter is caused by changes in the diet, an increased water intake and the increasing hormonal levels.
Constipation is more common in women during the first trimester. For women with excess progesterone in the body, diarrhea may be seen early in the pregnancy. This may continue being felt as the pregnancy grows.
Is Diarrhea a Sign of Pregnancy or Period?
Diarrhea can be a symptom for both pregnancy and periods. These are mostly felt in both occasions due to the increased levels of hormones. For women who suffer from irritable bowel system, it is likely to experience diarrhea during both period and pregnancy.
The soaring hormonal levels may make it hard for one to tell if the diarrhea is as a result of oncoming periods or existing pregnancy. The best way to be certain would be to take a test.
More on Symptoms and Signs of Pregnancy:
- What are the earliest signs of pregnancy? (with Quiz)
- What Are the Earliest Signs of Pregnancy before Missed Period?
- Signs of Pregnancy before Missed Period
- Is Heartburn a Sign of Pregnancy Early On?
- First and Early Physical Signs of Pregnancy
- What are the Very First Signs of Pregnancy?
- Is Cramping a Sign of Pregnancy Early On?
- Early Warning Signs of Pregnancy and Complications