Sexy lip makeup starts with the best lip primer. Here, you will find a list of top-rated ones, reviews of drugstore primer makeup for lips, how to make lip primer at home, natural products and top brands such as Benefit, L’Oreal, Smashbox, Elf and others.
What is Lip Primer Makeup?
Lip primer can be compared to foundation before doing face makeup. It is exactly what you will apply on your lips before wearing your favorite lipstick. Most priming makeups are matte or clear since they are supposed to be unnoticeable compared to the lipstick color itself. So why should I apply lip primer foundation before my lipstick? Here are the benefits:
- This makeup will make your lip makeup such as lipstick, lip balm and lip gloss last longer on your lips.
- Applying a good quality primers will make your lips appear smoother without chaps or cracks.
- Some of the best lip primer brands include SPF in their products. This helps protect your lips from sun damage that may lead to lip wrinkles and dark spots.
- A good product will also contain some minerals and important vitamins E, C and A. These, together with anti-wrinkle ingredients help in giving your lips and face a youthful appearance.
- It may help you plump your lips as well.
Most of the primers for lips available in the market today are sold in twist up containers. Others are sold in designer squeeze tubes. When you want to line the edges of your lips only, you can opt for lip primer pencil instead of twist-up primer tubes or containers.
There are some known best lip primer brands out there. But when looking for cheap lip primer, you could consider two options: the first is to shop around for inexpensive drugstore lip primer, while the second is to learn how to make lip primer at home. We will look at the DIY homemade lip primer steps below, but first, let’s find out what are the best primers today according to reviews.
What is the best lip primer?
When choosing the best primer, you can either opt for sticks of primer, pencil primers or look at the ingredients in each. Top lip-primers have sunscreen and antioxidants in them. Some people prefer primer pencils because they help keep the lip makeup colors within the lip lines. The bottom line when choosing the best is to look at lip primer reviews to determine the best brands.
Best Drugstore Lip Primer from Reviews
ELF primer reviews reveal that their best product in this category is Studio Line Lip-Primer & Plumper. It is also one of the cheapest primers out there.
Smashbox lip and lid primer is also touted to be the best according to reviews. It can make your lips plump, free from creases and lines. It also has an eyeshadow side, so it is double-duty.
Benefit makeup products are also reviewed among the best, so are Revlon, L’Oreal and Guerlain brands. Here is a list of the top lip primers and brands to help you make a choice.
- Top Benefit Primer: Benefit Plump
- Top-rated Guerlain Lip-Primers: KissKiss Lip Lift
- Loreal Lip-Primers: L’oreal Studio Secrets Smoothing Resurfacing and L’oreal Base Magique Primer
- Revlon Lip-Primers: Revlon-Beyond-Natural-Smoothing and Revlon Vital Radiance Smoothing
- MAC Prep +
- Urban Decay Primer Potion
- VS PRO Pout FX & Definer
- Too Faced Lip Insurance Primer
- Perfection Lip-Primers by Sephora
- Moisture Twist 2-in-1 Primer + Color, Fuchsia Fusion by Sally Hansen
- Volume Booster Primer by Rimmel
DIY Homemade Lip Primer – How to Make Your Own Primer
If you dont want to purchase a cheap lip liner and primer product, you can make your own at home. With a few easy steps, you can make homemade primer for lips using simple ingredients and resources you have at home. Here is a DIY guide on how to make lip primer of your own at home. You will need an applicator tube, beeswax beads, rose hip oil and powdered mica mineral as ingredients.
- Mix rose hip oil and wax beads in a small bowl.
- Put the bowl in the microwave and set to high to melt the wax and oil.
- Add powdered mica minerals into the melted mixture.
- Mix to achieve a smooth and consistent, creamy paste.
- Put in the microwave again for about 15 seconds to melt.
- Put the homemade primer mixture into the roll-on container or applicator.
- Close the container tightly and sit it in the freezer for 24 hours.
There you are: the steps for making homemade makeup of your own. Try it and comment your results below. But one more thing: is there natural lip makeup?
Natural Lip Primer
The steps discussed above are also used to make natural lip primer. However, you can find inexpensive natural lip primers on the market too. These contain natural ingredients such as oils, plant wax, oils and butters. Natural products have been criticized, however, as not lasting long.
There are various brands of lip-primers, but not so many are indicated as natural. When looking to buy lip primers that are natural, ensure that you look for ingredients such as tatamu oil, hemp seed oil, vitamin E, kaolin clay, olive oil, camellia oils, candelilla wax, jojoba, avocado, rosemary oleoresin, neem oil, carrot seed oil, cocoa butter, grapeseed oil, Shea butter and neem oil. These are indicators that the product is natural.