Natural African American hair can be healthy, black and just outstanding if you know how to care for it well. Below, learn the best hairstyles to wear, best shampoo products, tips for dyeing and coloring, and finally how to wash and treat your hair. By the end of the article, you will have learned the secrets of good hair on black women and men.
Hairstyles for Natural African American Hair
- Hairstyles for Natural African American Hair
- How to Take Care of Natural African American Hair
- Caring for Natural African American Hair
- How to Treat Natural African American Hair
- How to Soften Natural African American Hair
- Best Shampoo for Natural African American Hair
- Best Flat Iron for Natural African American Hair
- How to Wash Natural African American Hair
- Coloring Natural African American Hair
- Dyeing Natural African American Hair
There are numerous natural hairstyles to try. This article discusses how to style natural African American hair and maintain its length. Hairstyles that help in hair growth, avoid hair breakage and prevent receding of the hairline. When styling hair, we should be biased towards protective hairstyles.
Your hairstyle can protect the hair in two ways. They can either hide the ends of the hair and help in reducing breakage and split ends or they can reduce the amount of manipulation of the hair like combing. Hairstyles that reduce the amount of heat induced on the hair are also recommended. The hairstyles most recommended are:
|Flat twists||Box braids tied loosely|
|Loose Buns||Sew in weaves|
One key note is never wear your hair too tight since it will most definitely result in losing your hairline.
How to Take Care of Natural African American Hair
No matter how beautiful one’s hair is, there is a need to take care of it in order to sustain it. This article discusses how to take care of your hair naturally. Sections of this article describe everything to do with shampooing, treating, straightening, softening, styling and even coloring it. Read on to find more details about this.
We will go deeper into care secrets and tips such as great natural hairstyles, treatments and how to do them, coloring, softening, washing, shampooing and many other aspects that you will find very useful for you to maintain trendy black mane of hair on your head.
Caring for Natural African American Hair
Caring for Natural African American hair is an art that most lack. There are two key aspects of hair care especially for black people. These are treatments and how to soften hair. Read on for details on how to vare for African American hair naturally.
How to Treat Natural African American Hair
This is a guide on how to treat natural African American hair. The products one uses are of great importance. Natural treatments tend to have the best results since their nutrient level is high. Below are some of the best treatments for black people’s hair;
- Honey treatments: A mixture of a half cup of honey and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Coconut milk treatments: A mixture of a tablespoon of honey, 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 mashed avocado.
- Banana treatment: A mixture of 1 banana, 1 egg, 5 tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of milk.
- Hot oil treatments: You use oils like rosemary oil, jojoba oil, olive oil and so on. Honey and oils are the most recommended types of treatments.
How to Soften Natural African American Hair
There are various practices and products that can be used to make hair silkier and softer. This article highlights how to soften natural African American hair using the most highly rated of these.
- George’s Aloe Vera Gel
- KBB hair mask
- Honey rinses
- Qhemets Amla Heavy Cream
- A mixture of coconut milk, Aubrey Organics HSR and honey
- Shea butter and coconut oil to style
- Do not rinse out conditioner. Leave it on the hair for more moisture.
- Qhemets Honey Hydrating Balm
- Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol conditioner
Best Shampoo for Natural African American Hair
Most people take shampooing for granted. This article discusses the best shampoo for natural African black hair to help in keeping hair healthy. Always make sure to choose a shampoo that suits your needs. There are shampoos to eliminate dandruff, shampoos to treat an itchy scalp and so forth. Below are some of the best shampoos;
- Crème of Nature Argan Oil Moisture and Shine Shampoo
- Elucence Moisture Benefits shampoo
- Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Shampoo
- Kérastase Resistance Bain Volumactive Shampoo
- Burt’s Bees Very Volumizing Pomegranate and Soy Shampoo
- Yves Rocher Volume Volumizing Shampoo
- Serge Normant Meta Silk Shampoo
Best Flat Iron for Natural African American Hair
If used for a prolonged period of time, flat iron could lead to hair breakage. Below are the best flat irons for this type of hair. These are flat irons that offer heat regulation, hair protection and long-lasting results.
- Revlon Perfect Heat Professional Straightener with Ceramic
- Andis Professional 1-inch Titanium Flat Iron
- Karmin G3 Salon Pro Hair Styling Iron
- Farouk CHI GF1539 Turbo Big 2 Inch Flat Iron
- FHI Heat Platform 1 Inch Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Styling Iron
- Forma Trinity Titanium Ceramic Flat Iron
- 1.0 HAI NEO Styling Iron
How to Wash Natural African American Hair
If not done correctly, washing hair can lead to tangling, breakage and generally unhealthy hair. If you want to know how to clean your hair perfectly, read on below. You will find great tips that you can use to keep your mane clean and healthy.
The first step is choosing the right shampoo as discussed above. It is advisable to start with a shampoo oil treatment before you get to wahing it. This can be done by dividing your hair into 4 to 6 portions and applying virgin olive oil to each portion. Cover it with a plastic cap and leave it for one hour.
To wash the hair, start by combing through it with your fingers to eliminate tangling. Do a roughly 3 minute rinse to eliminate dirt build up and loosen the hair. Apply the shampoo, gently rub the scalp and work it along the length of the hair. Rinse the hair thoroughly.
Apply a generous amount of conditioner on the hair and work it from the scalp to the tips. Comb the hair with a wide tooth comb to detangle it. You could choose to rinse it out or to leave it on.
Coloring Natural African American Hair
If not done well and with the right products, hair coloring leads to hair loss. Coloring natural African American Hair should be done with the tips outlined below. One can choose to either color the hair permanently or temporarily. Below are the best products for both options.
- Permanent hair color: Dark and Lovely Permanent Hair Color; and Dark and Lovely Color Confidence
- Semi-permanent hair color: Dark and Lovely Reviving Color
Here are a few tips when coloring hair. The tips will guide you to ensure that your black hair remains healthy even after applying hair dyes or colors of a certain style or type.
- If hair is relaxed, wait for two weeks before you color it.
- Make sure you treat the hair after coloring it.
- Frequently treat and moisturize your hair after coloring to avoid hair dryness and eventual breakage
Dyeing Natural African American Hair
Below are secrets that you should never forget when planning to dye your hair. Several points to note when dyeing hair include the following:
- If you choose red, the darker your skin tone, the darker the shade of red you should choose.
- Browns are more natural for black people. If you are on the darker side, you are advised to use rich brown dye. If you are light or have a medium skin tone, you can use lighter shades.
- If your hair is dark, the lighter the color of the dye, the higher the chances of hair breakage since a lot of bleaching will be involved.
- It is therefore advisable to go for hair extensions of your desired bright color to integrate into your hair for that bright look.
- If you are shy about color, you could always try out weaves.
- Avoid using dyes that contain peroxide as they may lead to breakage of your hair.
After reading this article and practicing what it highlights, you are guaranteed healthy black hair. We have covered everything you need to know about caring for African American hair, from shampooing, treating, coloring, straightening softening all the way to styling it. We wish you all the best in your hair journey.