Whether in your 40s, 50s, or 60s, it is important to acknowledge that aging is a natural process. Your body may not feel like it used to, but rest assured, these changes are a normal part of life.
The good news is, there are supplements you can incorporate into your diet that naturally counter some of the negative shifts you might be feeling. Age should not deter you from enjoying life, so give yourself the best chance at leading the life you have envisioned.
With that said, let’s dive into the natural shifts you might feel and the best supplements for people over 40.
5 Main Changes You Might Experience with Age
Men and women typically experience the following five changes once they hit their 40s:
- Decline in testosterone: Men’s testosterone levels begin to decline by one percent each year after age 40. Since testosterone plays a large role in managing muscle development, hair growth, libido, and even mood, low levels of the hormone often result in low sex drive, erectile dysfunction, depression, hair loss, and fatigue.
- Perimenopause and menopause: Perimenopause—when the ovaries create less estrogen—can begin for women in their 40s. Once the ovaries completely stop producing eggs, menopause begins. This typically happens around age 50. Women might experience hot flashes, irregular periods, mood changes, urinary issues, and more during these two phases.
- Loss of bone and muscle mass: It is normal to lose about three to five percent of your muscle mass each decade after your 30s. You might feel and see noticeable changes like getting shorter since the spongy disks in your spine flatten. It is essential to stay committed to an exercise routine to strengthen your bones and reduce your risk of osteoporosis.
- Weight gain: With less bone and muscle mass, you might find it more difficult to maintain a healthy weight. In addition, hormonal fluctuations due to declines in testosterone and estrogen can shift the way your body burns calories, leading to weight gain.
- Decline in quality of sleep: Low levels of hormones from aging can trigger a decrease in slow-wave or deep sleep. This causes your boy to create less melatonin, which can mean more irregular sleep patterns.
The Best Supplements for Those Over 40 and Beyond
However, with the right diet and lifestyle, you can safeguard your health and never surrender to the roadblocks aging might bring. Whether you are in your 40s, 50s, or 60s, the time to take supplements is now. Consider the following to address the aforementioned declines:
- TestWORx: TestWORx is one of the best supplements for men over 40. It is made with Tongkat Ali flowering plant that can support healthy testosterone and energy levels.
- Milk Thistle: Milk Thistle supplements carry silymarin, a free-radical fighter that promotes bone strength in postmenopausal women, making them one of the top supplements for women over 40.
- Calcium: Calcium is a critical supplement that can help you maintain healthy bone mass for both men and women. Aim for at least 1,000 milligrams of calcium each day, which experts often recommend taking in smaller portions for greater absorption.
- L-Lysine: L-Lysine is an amino acid that helps your body absorb calcium faster, supporting collagen, bone, tissue formation, and even lean muscle growth.
- Magnesium Citrate: Magnesium Citrate carries a combination of salt and citric acid, which helps promote relaxation and normal circadian rhythms. If you experience poor quality sleep and fatigue, these supplements might be of help.
Find Natural Ways to Nurture Your Health
Before you take these nutrients, be sure to speak to your doctor about the best supplements for people over 40 and what would be right for you. Don’t forget to stay on top of your annual health checkups as well.