White patches on face can be caused by various factors that are related to pigmentation of the skin. Find out what causes white patches on face skin and symptoms such as white dry patches on face, baby face white patches and how to get rid of white spots on face and neck fast.
What are white patches on the face? Why do I get white dots on my face skin, around the neck and under eyes? What is the cause of white skin patches on my face? If you have all these questions, you are at the right place. Below, we will discuss the possible causes of white dots on the face, the signs and symptoms of the white dots on the skin, and also learn how to get rid of white vitiligo patches on face.
What are White Patches on the Face?
First things first, what are white patches on the face? Are they vitiligo? Are they Fordyce spots? Are they pigmentation patches? Well, white patches on your face are also called vitiligo and are normally formed when the skin cells fail to make pigments that color the skin to your complexion.
- White vitiligo patches on the face skin form when melanocytes are damaged on certain parts of your skin.
- Your skin will them develop white patches, also called discoloration patches.
- These vitiligo patches can also appear on other parts of the body, such as throat, neck, white dots on lips and so on.
- One of the common symptoms of vitiligo white patches is that hair on the area with a white patch may also grow white and not your normal hair color.
- Vitiligo is a condition that is known to affect people with dark skin colors more than those with far skin colors.
To distinguish white patches on your face from other conditions that are not vitiligo, it is important to note that the patches cover a relatively bigger area than the when you have white dots on your skin. So, let’s look at the causes of vitiligo white blotches.
What Causes White Patches on Face Skin?
Various underlying health conditions could be the reason behind vitiligo patches or psoriasis on your face. The exact cause for loss of pigmentation or the cause of skin discoloration on the face has not been established yet, but some causes are linked to this skin condition. Here’s what causes white patches on face.
- Vitiligo is one of the major causes of white discoloration patches on the skin. Dr. Mehmet Oz, MD says that “Vitiligo is a skin disorder that causes the pigment-producing cells (melanocytes) to die.” When one is suffering from this problem, the face, and mostly around the eyes, nose, eyebrows and eyelashes, nose may turn white or start to discolor slowly due to loss of pigmentation. White patches are therefore, a symptom of vitiligo.
- Psoriasis is also known to cause white patches on the skin. This could be hereditary.
- Eczema has also been identified as a cause of discoloration patches on the skin, but it is prominent in people who are prone to allergies.
- Finea versicolor is a fungal infection that manifests itself by white patches on the skin, neck and around the face.
- Another cause of face white discoloration patches is vitamin B12 deficienty.
- Though there is no scientific proof, it is believed that white patched areas on the skin are caused by autoimmune response to infections.
Symptoms of White Discoloration on Face
There may be many other causes of the patches of discoloration on face, but it is important to see a doctor rather than making generalizations about them. With that, what are the various symptoms of whitish dots on face? Does the loss of pigmentation manifest itself in different ways? Below, we will look at different symptoms and how to get rid of white patches on face.
White Dry Patches on Face
Do you have flaky dry white patches on the face? Do you see white dry scaly patches on your face? What do they mean or signify? Most of the times, dry white patches on the face may become flaky or scaly especially if they are caused by eczema. The skin becomes rough and inflamed, making you to scratch it almost all the time.
It is common to have dry flaky patches on the skin in winter especially in children. Sun exposure may worsen the white scaly spots on the skin, especially by making them dry and scaly or flaky. Sometimes children may feel like scratching the light white patches on their faces because of the itchiness they may feel.
The dry white patches will commonly appear around the neck, face, upper arms especially in children, upper trunk and face. The white spots on the face may appear to be uneven and are normally completely benign. See the treatments for white spots on face below to learn how to get rid of white patches on face.
White Patches on Face Kids
White patches on face in children may mean the child is suffering from a certain deficiency, such as vitamin B12, or they could be suffering from a serious skin disease. The exact cause of these white patches on baby face may not be different from those in adults. In a nutshell, the following are the causes:
- Pityriasis alba
- Sun exposure – white sun spots on kids face
Any of these could be the causes in addition to the ones we have discussed above.
How to Get Rid of White Patches on Face
There are many options for getting rid and removing white patches and spots on face and skin. In most cases, your physician will treat the underlying cause of the problem in order to eliminate the white skin discoloration on the face. Treatments may range from home remedies to other medical cures for white blotches on the face. Here are ways to get rid of white spots on the face.
- Topical antifungal medications are applied to get rid of white spots and blotches on the face. These are commonly used as treatments when the objective is to treat tinea versicolor.
- Some face creams are good at restoring the skin’s pigmentation and may be used as treatments. Sometimes shampoos are prescribed. If you opt for these, ensure you go for the dermatologist recommended face creams.
- Mild cases of leucoderma are treated with skin camouflage using cosmetic solutions such as concealers.
- UVB photo-therapy and PUVA phototherapy.
- Transplanting melanocytes from an area that is not affected to that with a white patch on your face is another viable treatment to get rid of white spots and patches on the face.
- Oral medications.
Home Remedies for White Patches on Face
You can also get rid of white discoloration spots on face using home remedies. Here are some of the best home treatments you can use on your face to correct skin discoloration.
- Apple cider vinegar splash
- Ginger remedy for white spots
- Lemon juice and ginger treatment
- Radish seeds and ginger paste on white skin patches
- Turmeric remedy for white patches on skin
- Cabbage and Black Gram
All these home remedies have properties that can heal white patches on face that form irregularly. Try them as home remedies, especially the radish seeds and apple cider vinegar to treat discoloration on the face.