Hair regrowth for men can be done using the regrowth shampoos, pills and treatments. Here are some of the best hair regrowth products for men and regrowth pills that black men can use to grow back hair after hair loss.
Over 70% of men will experience male pattern baldness at some point in their life and if you are one of them, you have landed at the right place. This article will share with you some of the best hair regrowth products for men including shampoos, pills and treatments. We have also listed several natural hair regrowth for men that can help you deal with your hair loss and get you on the path to hair regrowth.
Best Hair Regrowth Products for Men
The question, “What are some of the best hair regrowth products for men?” pops every time and then in online hair loss forums and it is easy to see why; hair regrowth products for men are all over with each claiming to be at the top of the league in as far as hair regrowth is concerned.
Minoxidil is without doubt the most popular male pattern hair loss ingredient and the majority of the hair regrowth products that you see around being sold with the slogan “FDA approved” have minoxidil as the main active ingredient.
Minoxidil is approved by the FDA for use in both men and women and is available over the counter as opposed to Propecia (Finasteride) which although also approved by the FDA for use in men requires a prescription.
There are of course other ingredients used other than minoxidil depending on the formulation of specific hair regrowth products. This is especially the case with organic hair regrowth products.
Here are some of the best hair regrowth products for men:
Rogaine for Men Hair Regrowth Treatment
As recommended by the FDA for men, Rogaine for men Hair Regrowth Treatment contains 5% Minoxidil and is sold as topical foam. Rogaine is effective in stopping hair loss and starting a regrowth of hair in men with a reported success rate of up to 85%. Continuous use is however required for results to be maintained; otherwise hair loss prior to using it may recur. Results are typically seen in 4 months or so.
Lipogaine for Men: Intensive Treatment
Lipogaine also contains Minoxidil in addition to other ingredients. Lipogaine also contains an herbal blend that enhances the scalp’s uptake of minoxidil while blocking DHT, the main culprit for hair loss. Lipogaine is especially recommended for people with receding hairline since it results in hair regrowth on all over the head.
The following products also rank among the best hair regrowth products for men:
- Kirkland Hair Regrowth TreatmentExtra Strength for Men – contains 5% minoxidil
- Equate Hair Regrowth Treatment Extra Strength for Men
- Nuhair Hair Regrowth for Men – Chinese herbal tablets
- Viviscal Man’s Supplements – hair regrowth vitamins and minerals supplement for men
Natural Hair Regrowth for Men
Hair loss in men can be categorized into permanent and temporary depending on regrowth. Permanent hair loss is typically associated with androgenetic alopecia, or a genetic trait that is responsible for male pattern baldness that may start as early as teenage in some men.
Male pattern baldness is characterized by balding at the crown of the head and receding hairline at the temples. Temporary hair loss can be as a result of various factors such as thyroid problems, insufficient scalp circulation, nutrient deficiency etc.
Luckily, there are various remedies that may be helpful with natural hair regrowth for men:
Watch your diet
Observing proper diet is important for natural hair regrowth in men. You will especially want to get adequate amounts of the following:
- Essential fatty acids: these are important for proper functioning of the body. Foods rich in essential fatty acids include walnuts, fish, avocado, and flaxseeds
- Vitamin C: Collagen is important for strengthening the hair strands. The best way to boost collagen is by getting adequate vitamin C from such sources as citrus fruits, red peppers, and strawberries. Vitamin c also helps in uptake of iron.
- Biotin: this is a water soluble vitamin in the vitamin C complex that is critical for proper scalp health. Getting adequate biotin form such sources as brown rice, oats, and nuts is important in enhancing natural hair regrowth for men.
- MSM: Methylsulfonylmethane is important for hair regrowth since it helps in the production of keratin and also strengthens hair follicles. Raw Cabbages, Swiss chard, and water cress contains small amounts of Methylsulfonylmethane. Having cooked asparagus and beets in your diet can also help with supply of some MSM.
- Iron: iron is also important for healthy hair. Foods rich in iron include green leafy vegetables, cashews, berries, figs, leeks, blackstrap molasses and dried fruits.
- Zinc and Silica: 500 mg of silica and 30 mg of zinc per day is recommended for optimal hair growth and regrowth. Cucumber, beans, green leafs, asparagus, and mango are rich in silica. Pumpkin seeds, pecans, fresh oysters, and Brazil nuts are on the other hand good sources of zinc.
- Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens): A study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that saw palmetto can increase hair growth in men.
- Vitamin E: vitamin E helps the body in manufacturing keratin and reduces hair breakage. Sunflower seeds, dried apricots, cooked spinach, and almonds are all rich in vitamin E.
Avoid and manage stress
Stress can cause hair loss in both men and women. Managing stress using mind-body treatments such as psychotherapy, hypnosis, and guided image therapy can help with hair regrowth for men.
Mustard oil + Henna
Mustard oil can also help with hair regrowth in men. To a cup of mustard oil, add 4 tbsp of henna leaves and boil them together before massaging the mixture to your scalp gently after it has cooled down. Repeat daily.
Hair Regrowth Shampoo for Men
There are dozes if not hundreds of hair regrowth shampoos for men out there; all competing for the top spot with great promises for the best results in as far as hair loss management is concerned.
Among the questions that baffles most men struggling with hair loss are, “What are some of the best hair regrowth shampoo for men?” and “What should I look for in a hair regrowth shampoo?”
Well, a great shampoo should ideally not contain sodium lauryl sulfate. Sodium lauryl sulfate is commonly used as a lathering ingredient in shampoos. Studies have linked sodium lauryl sulfate to destructive effects on the protein structure of the hair.
It is also advisable to avoid shampoos with Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, and Sodium Xylene Sulfonate.
Some of the ingredients desirable in a shampoo for their positive effect on hair regrowth in men include biotin, caffeine, panthenol, amino acids, copper peptides, apple polyphenol, MSM, emu oil, ketoconazole, carnitine tartrate, and anti-oxidants.
On that note, here are several hair regrowth shampoos for men that you may want to consider:
- Revita Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo
- RegenePure NT Nourishing Treatment Hair Loss Shampoo
- Pura D’or Organic Argan Oil Anti Hair Loss Shampoo
- Bosley Bos Revive Nourishing Shampoo
- LA Science Anti Hair Loss Shampoo
- Revlon PROYOU Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo
- Natur Vital Hair Loss Shampoo
Best Hair Regrowth Treatment for Men
With so many choices marketed today, the question then becomes, “what is the best hair regrowth treatment for men?”
Let’s look at the various treatment options that are currently approved by the FDA.
Finasteride: Commonly sold as propecia, this is a prescription medication in the form of pills. Finasteride is taken orally every day in 1 mg tablets. It works by lowering the level of DHT (dihydrotestosterone) which is the hormone associated with male pattern baldness or androgenic alopecia. Finasteride has been reported to have a success rate as high as 85 percent.
Minoxidil is also FDA approved for hair regrowth in men. FDA recommends the use of 5% for men (and 2% for women). Minoxidil is applied topically (on the scalp) twice a day and it may take up to 4 months to see results. It’s commonly sold as Rogaine and there are numerous hair regrowth products with minoxidil as an ingredient e.g. Rogaine Hair Treatment for Men.
Minoxidil and Finasteride are often used together for best results. It is however critical to continue using these treatments (whether used together or only one is used) for the result obtained (in far as hair regrowth is concerned) to be sustained.
Hair Regrowth for Black Men
Black men, otherwise referred to as African-American men experience hair loss for the same reasons as their Asian and white counterparts.
Male pattern baldness (or androgenetic alopecia) however tends to occur less frequently in black men according to livestrong.com. Nevertheless male pattern baldness can have the same negative effect on self-confidence and self-image of black men as to the men of any other race.
The choices for black men with regard to hair regrowth are just the same as those for Anglo-American or Asian men, most notably being minoxidil and Finasteride (both discussed above). Laser hair regrowth treatment and hair transplantation are as well potential options when it comes to hair regrowth for black men.
Hair Regrowth Pills for Men – How they Help
We have already mentioned Finasterdie which is an FDA-approved medication for hair loss that is normally available under prescription as propecia in the form of pills.
As we have also mentioned, hair loss can occur as a result of imbalanced diet or due to deficiency in various nutrients and minerals (e.g. Vitamin E and C, iron, and zinc among others).
There are various hair regrowth pills for men that stop hair loss and enhance hair regrowth by supplying the body with nutrients and minerals that are essential for proper scalp health and hair growth.
Some hair regrowth pills for men that you may want to consider are:
- Nuhair Hair Regrowth for Men
- Viviscal Man’s Supplements
Hair Regrowth for Men Reviews
Online Hair regrowth for men reviews continuously point to Rogaine Hair Regrowth Treatment for Men as one of the best hair loss products. It contains 5% minoxidil as is to be expected (as per the FDA recommendation) and is usually in the form of foam.
Rogaine for men is applied twice daily on the scalp and results are often seen in about 4 months. The downside to using Rogaine (minoxidil) is that it has to be used continuously if the hair regrowth achieved is to be maintained, but it is not any different with Finasteride (propecia) either.
Other hair regrowth for men products with great user reviews are:
- Lipogaine for Men: Intensive Treatment
- Kirkland Hair Regrowth Treatment Extra Strength for Men
- Equate Hair Regrowth Treatment Extra Strength for Men