Dental fillings are a standard treatment used to repair and restore the function of a tooth that has been damaged by decay or other factors.
The filling material is used to fill in the cavity or hole in the tooth and to prevent further decay or damage. There are several types of materials that can be used for dental fillings, including amalgam (a mixture of mercury and other metals), composite (a mixture of plastic and fine glass particles), and gold or other precious metals. The material used for a filling is typically chosen based on the location and size of the cavity.
The material used is also a big determining factor when asking how much dental fillings cost in New York.
Why Patients Need Dental Fillings
As mentioned, dental fillings are used to repair damaged teeth that have been affected by tooth decay. Tooth decay is caused by bacteria that produce acid that eats away at the enamel and dentin of the tooth.
When the decay reaches the tooth’s inner layer (the pulp), it causes pain and infection. A filling is used to remove the decayed tissue and fill the cavity left behind, protecting the tooth from further damage and restoring its function.
It’s essential to get a dental filling as soon as possible after tooth decay is detected. The longer you wait, the more extensive the damage may become, which could require more extensive (and expensive) treatment.
Price of Dental Fillings in New York
The cost of a dental filling varies depending on several factors, including the type of filling material used, the location of the filling in the mouth, and the complexity of the filling procedure. Here are some general price ranges for different types of fillings:
- Composite (tooth-colored) fillings: These fillings are made of a mixture of plastic and fine glass particles and are used to fill small to medium-sized cavities. Prices for composite fillings can range from $90 to $250 or more, depending on the size and location of the filling.
- Amalgam (silver) fillings: These fillings are made of a mixture of metals and are used to fill large cavities. Prices for amalgam fillings can range from $50 to $150 or more, depending on the size and location of the filling.
- Gold fillings: These fillings are made of gold and are used to fill large cavities. Prices for gold fillings can range from $150 to $600 or more, depending on the size and location of the filling.
Some dental insurance plans may cover part or all of the cost of a filling, so it’s a good idea to check with your insurance provider to see what your coverage includes.
The Lifespan of Dental Fillings
The lifespan of a dental filling also varies depending on the type of filling material used, the location of the filling in the mouth, and the patient’s oral hygiene habits. In general, here is how long different types of fillings are expected to last:
- Composite fillings: These fillings are relatively durable and can last for several years, although they may need to be replaced sooner if the filling is subjected to a lot of wear and tear.
- Amalgam fillings: These fillings are also relatively durable and can last for several years, although they may need to be replaced sooner if the filling is subjected to a lot of wear and tear. Amalgam fillings may also corrode over time, which can cause them to fail.
- Gold fillings: These fillings are very durable and can last for many years, although they are also subject to wear and tear and may need to be replaced sooner if the filling is subjected to a lot of stress.
It’s important to note that no filling is permanent, and all fillings will eventually need to be replaced. Regular dental check-ups and good oral hygiene practices can help extend the lifespan of your fillings.
Learn More About Dental Fillings at DDS Group
Dental fillings are an effective way to repair and restore damaged teeth, and they can help to prevent further decay or damage to the tooth. It is important to maintain good oral hygiene and to see a dentist regularly to help avoid the need for fillings and other types of dental treatment.
DDS Group believes that every patient deserves the highest standard of dental care and provides dental fillings in the New York area.