Dark spots on lips are not risky and common. Find out here the causes, how to get rid of dark spots on your lips, ways to remove black spots on lips and treatments for dark brown spots on lips. Also learn meaning and how to fade dark spots on upper and lower lips below.
Black and brown spots on your lips appear as discoloration that leaves your lips with an uneven skin tone. The problem is common in people who smoke, since it is believed that smoking discolors the skin, leaves black spots, patches, wrinkles and even dark circles under eyes. Other than smoking, there are a host of other causes of darkish spots on upper lip and lower lip. See the section on causes below.
These spots on lips are sometimes called age spots, liver spots and some people refer to them as diabetes spots on the skin. Your skin can develop different types of spots. Some of them may be red spots, while others can even be white spots on the skin. Depending on where they appear, the marks may not pose a health risk especially when they are on your lips.
Causes of Dark Spots on Lips
What Causes Black Spots on the Lips? What causes black spots on lips? What does dark brown spots on your lips indicate? Well, there are several causes of dark spots on lower lip and upper lips. Understanding these will help in getting rid of the spots. It is also easier to develop simple home remedies for dark spots on the lips once you know of the causes.
Here are common causes of brown and black spots on lower and upper lips.
- Smoking cigarettes – dark spots on lips from smoking
- Aging (age spots on lips)
- Sun exposure that may cause spots, chapping and patches on lips
- Excessive intake of caffeinated foods
- Lip biting and licking
- Too much iron in the body
- Hormonal changes in women
- Excess pigmentation
- Allergy – allergic reactions to substances such as toxins in lipstick, medication and toothpaste
- Cancer in rare cases
- Vitamin B deficiency
How to Get Rid Of Dark Spots on Lips
Stop smoking, it is one of the simplest ways to get rid of dark spots on your lips. As a matter of fact, avoiding some of the causes of these discolorations on your lips is the best way to get rid of them.
- Apply the La Roche-Posay Mela-D Dark Spots. Topical retinoids can also be prescribed as treatment for dark lip spots.
- Cut down the consumption of coffee and caffeinated drinks. Coffee is known to cause not only dark lip spots but also dark circles under eyes and eye bags.
- Avoid smoking and eating hot food, taking hot drinks.
- Do not use expired lip cosmetics and makeups. Toxic lipsticks, like those containing lead are also causes and should be avoided. It is best if you use natural lipstick, lip balms and lip glosses.
- Wear sunscreen religiously if you want to prevent dark spots on lips.
Home Remedies for Dark Spots on the Lips
You can brighten dark spots on the lips using simple natural remedies. Other than using concealers such as lipsticks to hide the black spots on lips, you can constantly treat your lips to remove the brown patches and other lip problems such as lip wrinkles and hyperpigmentation on lips. Some of these home remedies will also help you improve the appearance of your type of lips. Here are some ways to fade dark spots on upper lip and lower lip naturally at home.
Lemon Juice Treatment for Dark Spots on Lips
Lemon is known for its bleaching properties. When you want to fade dark spots and brown spots on the back, on lips, on your neck and other parts on your skin, you can prepare lemon juice and apply it on the lips every night. It will lighten the black patches of discoloration on your lips.
Beetroot and Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the home remedies for dark lip spots as well as skin cosmetic problems such as cellulite. Like beetroot, apple cider vinegar will bleach the spots and do away with discoloration on your upper lip and lower lip.
Almond Oil for Black Spots on Lips
Almond oil is also used as a home remedy for many other skin conditions. But here, you can apply it as a natural cure for black spots and brown spots on lips. You can mix almond oil with coconut oil for massaging your lips with every before you go to bed at night.
How to Remove Dark Spots on Lips – How to Fade Black Lip Spots
Removing dark spots from lips can take the home remedies and simple tips listed above. However, you can go the extra mile to fade dark spots on the lips easily. First, you need to consider changing your lifestyle completely in order to not only prevent but also to reduce, eliminate and remove brown spots on the lips and skin. Here are tips:
- Treat any underlying causes such as diabetes, iron deficiency, vitamin B deficiency.
- Remove dark and brown spots on your lips by applying an exfoliating face pack on the lips regularly. Brush your lips gently every time you brush your teeth to exfoliate lips and remove the dark spots.
- In order to improve dark spots and marks on your lips, drink plenty of water. It will help in removing any pigments and toxin-related patches on your skin.
- Always wear sunscreen on your lips. Some lip creams have sunscreen that will help prevent darkening of lips. If you have dark spots on neck, or brown spots on legs, you should also consider using sunscreen on your skin.
After trying these methods to improve the appearance of dark spots, you should see your dermatologist to advise you on the best lip care practices that will help you prevent the darkening of the upper lip and lower lips. You can also compare dark spots on lips pictures to find out if you have a health problem that needs medical attention.
How do you remove dark spots on lips?