White dots under eyes are also called milia. They appear as little white bumps under eyes, and sometimes they may end up as small white circles around eyes and eyelids. Here’s how to get rid of white spots under eyes, causes and treatments to remove tiny white bumps that form above eyelids.
Benign cysts are common on the skin. It is easy to find that you get fungal infections on the skin that result in small white papules forming on the face. One of the parts of the face that can be very uncomfortable when you get tiny white dots is the under eyes and the eyelids.
White dots under eyes, white bumps under eyes and white circles under eyes may be caused by different underlying factors. Some of them may pose a health risk, while others are not dangerous to your skin health. Below, we will discuss what white dots and patches on face are, the causes of white dots and how to get rid of white patches, bumps and circles under eyes.
What Are the White Dots under My Eyes?
What are white dots under eyes? What causes them? Are they skin cancer, an STD or caused by cold sores? Whitish or yellowish spots around eyes are also called Milia. Milia are small tender bumps that resemble benign cysts. They are normally filled with a certain protein called keratin.
Generally, milia do not have any danger since they are benign spots or bumps. However, in terms of beauty and appearance, little white dots under eyes may be a source of concern. For this reason, learning how to remove white spots under the eye is important.
Note that the symptoms of these spots may appear as though they are filled with pus. It is important to note that dots forming above the eyelid or under your eyes may be yellowish to whitish in color, but they are not filled with pus, but the protein called keratin.
Causes of White Dots Under Eyes
So, what causes white dots under eyes? Milia spots around the eyes are caused by the failure to have the skin cells slough off. As a result, the cells clog skin pores, leading to the formation of white bumps and cysts.
The spots are commonly referred to as oil seeds because they are soft and appear as small yellow pimples. For some people, they harden to form small hard white bumps under eyes.
- Heavy skin care products and makeup usage may cause the little white spots to form under your eyes too.
- Lack of exfoliation traps skin cells that should otherwise be shed off around the eyes. This may cause white bumps on the eyes.
Once you identify the cause of the dots, you will be able to get rid of the white dots under eyes easily because you can now treat the actual cause. Some eye creams are recommended for removing white Fordyce like spots around eyes. We will look at treatments in a more deeper sense below.
Little White Dots under Eyes
Of the many symptoms people report, little white dots, small white dots or tiny white spots are the most commonly reported. They are all the same thing, unless a patient reports having small hard bumps on eyelids.
The little white dots may be a bit painful. Patients usually feel discomfort moving the eye that is affected. The pain and discomfort depends a lot on the underlying cause of the problem. For instance, suffering from small painful white dots around eyes may mean that the papules are caused by a bacterial or fungal infection around the eye.
Little white dots under eyes can worsen in people who have puffy eyes. This is mainly for the spots that are caused by allergic reactions to certain chemical substances. Most of the allergens that may cause this problem are found in mouthwashes, toothpastes and eye makeup. Therefore, keep in mind that you could be dealing with a symptom of skin allergy around your eyes. In such as case, see a dermatologist as soon as possible.
Little White Bumps under Eyes
- What are these little white bumps under my eyes?
- How to get rid of milia under eyes?
These two are the likely questions that some people ask themselves when they feel the dots forming under their eyes. As we have seen above in the article, the white bumps are the same thing as milia under eyes. Some people describe them as white patches, others as small bumps on eyelids and under the eye.
The causes of little whitish bumps on your eyes are the same as discussed above in the causes section. In children or infants, the bumps are sometimes called milk bumps. Even so, they have nothing to do with milk.
For some people, exposure to the sun may cause the area around the eyes to be irritated and form little white bumps on the eyelids or under the eye. Although there is something you can do to get rid of the spots and bumps, remember to see a dermatologist first before trying to remove them.
How to Get Rid of White Dots under Eyes
It’s now time to learn how to get rid of white dots under eyes. What do you use? Are there any treatments? Home remedies for white spots around eyes? Here are different ways of getting rid of the problem.
- Apply retinol eye cream such as RoC Correxion. “Apply the formula in small dots around the eye area…” This cream contains vitamin A, which helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles under eyes and other blemishes.
- If your spots and marks are caused by sunburn, avoid direct exposure of your skin around eyes to the sun. “cutting down on sun exposure will let you get rid of milia faster.” [WikiHow]
- You may use eye creams that contain SPF 15 or more.
- Avoid and reduce heavy cosmetics and makeup around the eye to prevent and get rid of milia spots.
- Microdermabrasion sessions can get rid of the white marks around eyes with time.
Home Remedies for Milia White Dots
If you do not want to go for medical treatments and cures for removing milia dots from your face, you can opt for natural home remedies such as the following:
- Exfoliate the skin using a good fruit based exfoliant.
- Cleanse the area affected with milia spots and treat with a gentle and natural cleanser.
- Supplement with niacin, biotin and CoQ10.
- Do you know of any other natural home remedies for milia spots? Share with us in the comments.
How to Remove White Dots under Eyes
There are various ways of removing the dots on your face. Removing them permanently may have to involve treatments and other home remedies as well. However, what do you do when you want to remove white under eye dots fast?
- Apply concealer for your under eyes if the spots are small enough to be concealed.
- If the spots are dry and you think you can remove them fast, exfoliate gently before you go to bed.
- Choose a good moisturizer and exfoliator to use around your eyes. Exfoliators with Vitamin A are recommended.
- You may also try removing the white spots under eyes using salicylic acid, although this treatment will take longer to clear the problem.
White Circles under Eyes – Causes and How to Get Rid
White circles under eyes? Perhaps you have not heard of these? But you are accustomed to people complaining about dark circles under eyes, right? Well, if you have white circles under your eyes, you definitely have a pigmentation problem that is also called vitiligo.
There are various causes of white circles, including postinflammatory hypopigmentation which normally occurs when you use certain eye creams. You may also be suffering from anemia that causes the white circles to form under eyes.
Mayo Clinic notes that cluster headaches may cause one to have white circles forming below the eyes. Sun exposure may also be a cause and so to get rid of the white lines and circles, you may need to avoid sun exposure or use eye creams with SPF. Your dermatologist may also recommend some creams to get rid of white circles under your eyes, or some medications that may treat underlying causes of white dots under eyes.