What causes wrinkles? Wrinkle lines under eyes, on the face, on forehead, around the mouth, lines on the neck, hands and on the lips can be removed or even prevented easily. Below, we discuss the different causes of lines on the skin and further suggest best ways to remove and prevent the different types or even treat them.
What are the causes of wrinkles? Wrinkles are a fact of life that we all have to get used to, but what happens when you think you are getting those fine forehead lines a little too early? It definitely becomes a worrying thing. It could be something you are doing that causes wrinkles, it could be something you are eating, sleeping habits, fun activities…something that causes wrinkles.
Dermatologists recommend various products for preventing wrinkles from forming. An example is the Anti Wrinkle Beauty Pillow that prevents fine lines on the face that come from poor sleeping posture or bedding. Before we explore these, below are the many reasons why you could be getting creases and furrows on your skin, even when you are still young.
What are Wrinkles?
Wrinkles are ridges, folds or creases in the skin. These fine lines may appear almost any
where on your skin as you get older. We will look at ageing in detail as one of the causes of wrinkles. Wrinkles are known to develop in the dermis, the part of the skin that is responsible for your skin’s structural integrity. Any sort of stress factor on this part of the skin can initiate the process of wrinkle formation. Surprisingly, even teens can end up getting wrinkles on the face, hands, around the mouth or even eyes. It doesn’t mean that they are aging. That hints that there are different causes of wrinkles independent of age. Let us look at the different causes of wrinkles in general.
Causes of Wrinkles
There are very many different causes of wrinkles. Depending on the age of an individual and certain habits, some of the causes of wrinkles we will discuss may not apply to everyone. However, we will try to answer every question everybody asks about the causes of wrinkles on a certain part of the body and other wrinkle related issues. Before you look for anti-aging creams or anti-wrinkle creams, it is important that you understand what causes your wrinkles so that you can find an ‘action plan’ to get rid of them.
Aging Causes Wrinkles
As the skin ages, the cells in it divide more slowly making the dermis (inner layer of the skin) to begin to thin. This process begins to undo the skin’s structure and ability to stretch. Aging also makes one of the natural causes of wrinkles because it contributes to the skin’s lost ability to hold moisture, release sebum to make it supple and even ability to heal fast. That is how wrinkles are caused on the skin as a result of chronological aging.
Exposure to UV Light can Cause Wrinkles
Sunlight is one of the causes of wrinkles that are said to account to about 90% of wrinkling problems. UV radiation are said to speed up the natural process of aging and cause wrinkles on the skin. The rays or radiation contribute to the breaking down of the skin’s connective tissue, also known as collagen and elastin fiber, all of which lie deep in the dermis of the skin. The actual cause of wrinkles resulting from exposure to the sun is the fact that your skin will lack the supportive function of the dermis as it loses the strength and flexibility. The more you expose yourself to the sun, the more likely you will see your skin sagging and forming wrinkles prematurely.
Smoking and Skin Wrinkles
Smoking is one of the causes of wrinkles that speed up the aging process. This comes as a result of reduced supply of blood to the skin, which is contributed to by the side effects of smoking such as shrinking of blood vessels. In fact, one of the causes of wrinkles under eyes is majorly smoking and other similar lifestyle factors that may reduce the supply of nutrients and oxygen to the skin as well as proper elimination of waste products from the skin.
Genetic Predisposition to Wrinkles
Surprising enough of all the causes of wrinkles, you are more likely to get wrinkles early in your life if your parents seemed to have developed them early on too according to Medicine News Today. It is the same cause with the source of stretch marks and quite a number of other cosmetic skin problems people experience on a daily basis. Some creams such as Perricone MD Neuropeptide Deep Wrinkle Serum are recommended to fight anti-aging and lines caused by genetic factors.
Hormonal Changes Can Cause Wrinkles
For many skin beauty problems, hormonal changes are named as the culprit behind them. On the causes of wrinkles, hormonal imbalances and changes are some of the causes that are less considered to contribute to the formation of those fine lines on the skin. How is that? Studies have not shown it in humans, but it is highly speculated that during menopause, there is a decrease in the production of collagen and elastin that is related to the reduced production of estrogen hormones, which is normally at about 2% as women undergo menopause.
Light skin also comes in as one of the causes of wrinkles. It is said that people with light skin experience the most of the effects of sunlight and are highly likely to develop wrinkles quickly.
Facial Expressions Cause Wrinkles
Muscle use is one of the primary causes of wrinkles. In fact, the way you use your muscles contributes to the many reasons people form wrinkles on different parts of the body. So why does facial skin turn out to show wrinkles on different parts of it quickly? The answer is simple – there are so many expressions you make with your face almost every minute. Yes, those expressions could be the ones that cause wrinkles on your face.
- Frown lines or wrinkles are caused by frowning habits
- Crow’s feet may come as a result of ocular problems and smiling expressions
- Mouth lines are also caused by smiling expressions
- Squinting and other facial expressions are part of the habits that bring about regular muscle contractions ending up as causes of wrinkles on your face.
Gravity as a Cause of Wrinkles
Another surprising cause of wrinkles yet – gravity. As your skin sags, gravity will act on it more to cause wrinkles. Jowls and drooping eyelids come about as a result of loosening of the skin that contributes to the formation of wrinkles.
Poor Nutrition May Cause Wrinkles
Nutritional deficiencies are believed to be part of the causes of wrinkles in some people. When we say nutrition may cause wrinkles, it doesn’t always mean that your skin is lacking some nutrients. Yes, that could be an underlying cause, but it could be something you are eating that causes wrinkles too. See foods that cause wrinkles below. You could also use Manuka Honey Bio Active 5+ topically to prevent ageing on your skin.
Interesting Facts about Causes of Wrinkles
- Gender could be one of the causes of wrinkles. According to Mayo Clinic, women have fewer sweat glands that secrete sebum around the mouth, a reason as to why they tend to have wrinkles forming around the mouth more easily than men do.
- Free radicals in the body are also identified as causes of wrinkles.
- Clothing habits will define some of the causes of wrinkles for you. Wearing hats and long sleeved shirts will slow down the formation of wrinkles on your skin.
- Dry skin is actually nowhere near the causes of wrinkles. It only makes wrinkles look worse.
- Shrinking of the facial bone structure followed by loss of collagen leads to the formation of wrinkles on the face. This is summed up as one of the causes of wrinkles related to aging.
- Vegetarians seem to get more wrinkles than other people and yes, the reason or causes of wrinkles for them are highly related to the diets they eat, especially when wheat is involved.
- People with more melanin are less likely to get wrinkles fast than those with less of it.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Causes of Wrinkles
- What causes wrinkles around the mouth? Smiling habits, chewing gum, drinking out of straw, sleeping on your side.
- What causes neck wrinkles? Aging of the skin, smoking and drinking, gravity, exposure to the sun
- What are the causes of wrinkles on forehead, also called forehead lines? The aging process, facial expressions, sleeping positions and even smoking may cause forehead wrinkles.
- What causes wrinkles under the eyes? Eye puffiness, aging, squinting, smoking, smiling, surgery or eye lift, injuries and even sleeping positions may cause under eye wrinkles.
- What causes upper lip wrinkles? Dental problems such as tooth loss, thin skin, exposure to UV rays, habits such as chewing, smoking, kissing and so on.
- What causes chest wrinkles? Aging, smoking, exposure to sun and other factors discussed above.
- Are there foods that cause wrinkles? Yes! These may include wheat-rich diets, processed foods, alcohol and foods with high sugar content.
- Does sleeping on your side cause wrinkles? Yes, that’s why some lines are called sleep lines!
- Can stress cause wrinkles? Yes! Stress affects your skin’s health so it’s likely to be one of the causes of wrinkles, and gray hair too!
- Does smiling cause wrinkles? Yes, smiling, as discussed under muscle use or facial expressions causes wrinkles around the mouth and even eyes.
- Does squinting cause wrinkles? Yes, it will cause eye wrinkles.
- Does chewing gum cause wrinkles? Wrinkles around the mouth are partly caused by habits of chewing gum.
- Does benzoyl peroxide cause wrinkles? Not directly, but it ages the skin faster. It also dries the skin, which will make wrinkles look worse. Benzoyl peroxide is however used as an acne and anti-wrinkle treatment.
- Does the sun cause wrinkles? Yes!
- Does frowning cause wrinkles? Yes, as part of facial expressions that cause wrinkles.
- Does tanning causes wrinkles? Tanning in the sun will contribute to the causes of wrinkles and also come with other side effects such as risk of skin cancer.
- Does wearing makeup cause wrinkles? Not on its own, but wearing for long hours prevents the skin from breathing, which will hasten aging and, yes, wrinkles.
- Sugar causes wrinkles? Yes, too much of it is considered one of the dietary causes of wrinkles.
Now that we know we shall all get wrinkles, it is important to learn how to prevent wrinkles form invading the beauty of our skins early on. There are different ways of preventing wrinkles, all of which lead us to our skin care practices. In order to prevent wrinkles and lines, you will need to practice restraint from smoking, get adequate sleep, use a lot more of moisturizers and practice this list of tips for avoiding wrinkles. The best way, however to prevent wrinkles is to eliminate some of the causes of wrinkles that are within your control.
Anti-wrinkle treatments are available in different forms. First, there are topical treatments for getting rid of wrinkles and second there are surgical procedures used as treatments to eliminate wrinkles. Topical treatments or medications for wrinkles include Retin A or retinoids, OTC prescriptions and anti-wrinkle creams. On the other hand, you can also try surgical procedures used to treat wrinkles include dermabrasion, microdermabrasion, laser surgery or radiofrequency treatment of wrinkles, Botulinum Toxin injections, face lifts, chemical peel and soft tissue fillers.
See other related resources listed to learn more about treatment, prevention and specific problems of wrinkles and how to get rid of them. You might have tried different ways of dealing with this cosmetic problem, and even the causes of wrinkles themselves.
Feel free to share with us and our readers in the comments section. That should include some of the causes of wrinkles I might have failed to mention here.