Dark armpits can be an embarrassment. Here’s how to lighten underarms fast and naturally at home with lemon, baking soda, turmeric, natural underarm whitening cream and even deodorant. These at-home treatments are simple and work fast. But first, before you start bleaching skin in your pits, what causes my underarms to be dark?
The darkening of underarms and the area around the neck can be anything from medical problems such as acanthosis nigricans. Another reason why your armpits get dark could be because of discoloration, usually caused by, according to dermatologist Isabel Ballesteros-Mangubat, MD, rubbing of the skin against each other in the area. But apart from this trauma that brings about discoloration and irritation, what are other causes?
6 Common Causes of Dark Underarms
Excess melanin pigment in the skin, localized around the underarms is the reason why most people try to whiten their armpits. Sometimes it can be easier locating the problem and trying to prevent your underarms from turning black so that you won’t have to bleach the skin. Here’s what could be causing the problem.
- Dark spots in the armpits are caused by plucking and shaving underarm hair. The microabrasions are tiny wounds that cause darkening when they heal. Too much use of some hair removal creams is also not recommended especially if you have a sensitive skin.
- Acanthosis nigricans – A Cleveland clinic noted that diabetics or people with insulin disorders may show darkening of skin on body parts with folds such as the neck and armpits. Before you find out how to get rid of dark underarms naturally, you might want to see a doctor first if this is your case.
- Use of deodorants and antiperspirants that react with your skin.
- The formation of excessive dead cells that often appear as black. Some sources indicate that hormonal imbalance during pregnancy causes darkened underarms.
- Bacterial infections can also cause axillary darkening.
- Waxing your underarms can burn the skin because hot wax is used. The trauma is enough and will make them produce more melanin for protection.
There are different ways on how to get rid of dark armpits naturally and fast. Natural remedies are safe and effective although they may not promise overnight results.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU: Other Effective Skin Lighteners:
- Ivory Caps – Maximum Potency 1500mg Glutathione Skin Whitening Pills (Rated 4.8 out of 5 stars)
- Gluta-c Glutathione 60 Capsules Anti-oxidant Skin Whitening (Rated 4.1 out of 5 stars)
- Fairtone Skin Whitening tablets lightening pills (Rated 4.0 out of 5 stars)
How to Lighten Underarms Naturally with Home Remedies
With home remedies, you have safe, effective methods to bleach dark armpits while minimizing side effects on your skin. So, how do you bleach your underarms naturally? Here are proven home remedies to help you treat the problem and brighten armpits at home, and even get rid of dark spots.
Use Lemon Juice or Slices to Bleach Dark Armpits Naturally
Did you know that lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent? This fruit also works as an antiseptic. Most people use lemon juice to lighten skin at home. The same natural remedy can be used for bleaching dark underarms naturally and that is why it is found in most skin whitening products such as bleaching creams and soaps. Here’s how to lighten underarms with lemon at home:
- Cut a lemon into three slices
- Sprinkle some sugar onto the slice
- Rub the slice on your skin several times in order to remove dead skin cells or exfoliate them
- Leave it on the skin for about 10 minutes
- Wash it off.
So how long does it take for lemon to lighten skin? Repeat the procedure 3 times a week for quick armpit lightening. Lemon juice may also be used with turmeric powder and honey or yogurt for whitening dark armpit skin.
NOTE: Lemon juice or peels can really make your skin dry. Ensure you apply a good moisturizer after this remedy if you feel your underarm skin is drier than usual.
Baking Soda for Whitening Underarms at Home
Baking soda is a strong home remedy for skin whitening. It works by exfoliating dead skin cells with excessive melanin pigment in them. For most people, this DIY solution is much cheaper than lightening treatments such as skin whitening surgery. So, here’s how to use baking soda to get rid of dark underarms at home.
- Make a thick paste of baking soda and water.
- Scrub your armpits with the paste to remove any dead skin cells.
- Wash the paste off with clear water and make sure you dry your skin thoroughly for freshness.
- Repeat this four times a week for faster lightening of darkened pits.
If somehow you suffer from excessive sweating and bad underarm odor, you can use baking soda with cornstarch in equal parts to stop smelly armpits. If you want to unclog pores and prevent dark melanin pigment out of suffocation, this solution will also help.
Turmeric Remedy for Black Underarms
For a long time, turmeric powder has been a home treatment for skin discoloration. It is used to get rid of dark spots on skin, razor burn and bumps (because of its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties) and hyperpigmentation disorders. In order to brighten your armpits, here’s how to use turmeric home remedy.
- Mix cucumber juice or lemon juice and turmeric powder to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to your underarms.
- Leave the paste on the skin for half an hour.
- Wash it off using plain water.
This remedy can be used regularly to get rid of dark underarms fast. Turmeric powder has also been used as a natural remedy for dark inner thighs with good results. Some people have also used it to remove and lighten acne spots and pimples.
How to Whiten Armpits Using Potato Juice
Potato juice is a natural bleaching agent. The main advantage of this treatment is that it does not come with side effects such as irritation or itchiness common with most creams and products such as hydrogen peroxide. With this remedy, you can treat dark underarms twice a day without seeing any side effects. Here’s how to whiten your armpits using potato juice.
- Make thin slices of potato or
- Grate potatoes to the amount you like.
- Apply the juice or slices onto the dark skin.
- Let it remain on for about 20 minutes.
- Wash the paste or juice off with warm water. This will lighten dark underarms with consistent use.
Cucumber Slices for Armpit Discoloration
Cucumbers have natural bleaching properties. But how do you use cucumber slices to bleach dark underarms naturally? Here’s how:
- Cut a fresh cucumber into slices
- Rub the slices on your underarm skin and leave on for about 30 minutes
- Wash it off with clean water.
- Repeat this procedure twice a day until you see the results you are looking for.
Instead of slices, you may also extract cucumber juice and apply in the same way.
Natural scrubs can help get rid of dark underarms fast depending on the seriousness of the problem. Natural ingredients for exfoliation are gentle and will remove dark top layer skin cells that make your armpits to darken. Be cautious not to use excessive force when scrubbing even if you want to get rid of dark underarms overnight. You might end up causing armpit bumps.
Mix a quarter a cup of sugar with the following ingredients to make your homemade scrub.
- Lemon juice (one tablespoon)
- Olive oil (one tablespoon)
- One tablespoon of honey
- One tablespoon of sea salt
Wet your armpits and apply the mixture (paste) and then massage gently for about 5 minutes in order to exfoliate dead skin cells. Rinse off using warm water.
Coconut Oil and Olive Oil for Skin Whitening
Coconut oil has vitamin E, which is commonly used to bleach the skin. It has also been touted as a natural deodorant. Here’s how to get rid of underarm darkness using coconut oil.
- Obtain extra virgin coconut oil and massage your armpits with it.
- Leave it for about 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with mild soap and lukewarm water.
- Do this everyday until your armpits are lighter or brighter.
See how to use olive oil to lighten skin here.
Dry Orange Peels
Peel oranges and dry the peels by leaving them in the sun for a few days. Grind them in order to get an orange powder peel. Mix the powder with milk and rose water to make a fine, thick paste. Scrub dark armpit areas with this paste for about 10 minutes in order to bleach dark underarms. Rinse off with cold water in order to remove loose dead skin cells and the paste.
How to Lighten Underarms Fast, Overnight or in a Week
An underarm whitening cream can help you bleach them faster and more effectively. Some of these products contain ingredients that bleach fast or in a week, including kojic acid, retin A and alpha arbutin. Glutathione injections may also be of help as well as products with salicylic acid. Beware that some of the over the counter armpit creams may have unpleasant side effects on your skin.
Always consult your doctor or dermatologist about the safety of these OTC products and other methods on how to lighten underarms overnight or in a week before going ahead with them. It is important to note that it is almost not possible to get rid of dark underarms fast, overnight or in a week. Gradual use of the home remedies discussed above will give you the best results.
Deodorant to Lighten Underarms
There have been claims that Dove Deodorant lightens dark underarms when applied regularly. It could be the simple answer to what is the best underarm whitening deodorant, but these claims have not been ascertained, and neither is the deodorant marketed as a bleaching product for women’s underarms. It is simply marketed as a “clear tone antiperspirant deodorant” that also helps renew skin cells. This might be the reason why it lightens dark armpits.
Female Network: 5 Common Causes of Dark Underarms
Doctor ASKY: Turmeric Powder for Skin Whitening, Skin Lightening and Acne
SkinVERSE: Turmeric – A Traditional Skin Remedy to Lighten Skin and Pigmentation
Armpits and Underarm Whitening: The Potato Technique for Dark Skin Around Armpits
Beauty Health Tips: Homemade scrubs to lighten the underarms, armpits blackness, darkness