You don’t eat your hair care products. So why should they be food-based?
Recently, more attention has been drawn to the many unhealthy chemicals being used in hair care products. These chemicals are known to be damaging to the skin and internal organs, and they are definitely not good for your hair!
Making the switch to food-based products means you are using all-natural ingredients that cannot cause harmful side effects. Read on to find out more about why you should consider changing things up in your routine.
Harmful Chemicals in Beauty and Hair Care Products
You may not believe how many harmful chemicals can potentially be found in hair care and beauty products. While the U.S. has banned only 13 of these chemicals, countries in Europe have restricted a whopping 1400. So if you live in America, who knows what unfavorable substances you’ll end up integrating into your daily routine?
Some to look out for include:
· Potassium Sorbate: This preservative ingredient can be toxic to the skin and internal organs.
· Formaldehyde: Formaldehyde can be found in everything from cosmetic products to vinyl siding. It is a known carcinogen that can be absorbed through the skin. It has been heavily restricted in Japan, Sweden and the European Union.
· Polyethylene Glycol (PEG): This chemical doubles as automobile antifreeze. It is poisonous to pets and it has been linked to cancer.
What Should I Look for In Hair Care Products?
When buying hair care products, it’s important to purchase those that do not contain toxic ingredients such as the ones listed above. You should also look for ones that are:
· All-Natural: This means the product is made from all-natural ingredients that are not likely to produce unpleasant side effects.
· Non-GMO: GMOs refer to food that has been genetically modified for protection against pests and other environmental factors. There is evidence that they may cause allergic reactions and be harmful to the earth. They have also been associated with cancer.
· Organic: Organic crops have been harvested responsibly without the use of pesticides and toxic chemicals.
· Vegan/ Cruelty Free: This refers to products that do not contain any animal ingredients and have not been tested on animals.
· Eco-Friendly: Eco-friendly products are made with ingredients and packaging that are not harmful to the environment.
What Hair Care Products Should I Be Using on My Hair?
There are a variety of hair care products on the market that are all-natural, vegan, non-GMO, organic and cruelty free. Alaffia Conditioner Everyday Coconut is one you should consider adding to your beauty routine.
Alaffia is a maker of fair-trade, sustainable, high-quality personal products that help support underserved communities in West Africa. Their conditioner is paraben free and made with Certified Fair Trade virgin coconut oil that hydrates the hair and scalp. It is nourishing, cruelty free and it does not contain any harmful ingredients.
Beautiful hair can be achieved with all-natural, eco-friendly products. They are a win-win for your personal health and for the environment. Which will you be integrating into your weekly routines?