Learn how to lighten hair with honey and try to bleach dyed hair using honey. The tips will also work for those looking to lighten blonde hair naturally using cinnamon and other treatments that bleach dark hair.
If you are a fun of home remedies, then you will agree with me that honey is one of the most useful natural ingredients that are to be found in any home. In addition to the almost endless uses that you can put honey to at home, you can use it to lighten hair. This detailed guide will discuss how to lighten hair with honey. And whether you have dark hair, brown hair, or dyed hair, you will find this useful. Read on and have fun learning how to bleach your hair to your style with honey.
Lightening Blonde Hair with Honey
Does It Work and How Long Does It Take? If you came to this page wondering “Does honey help lighten hair?” then you will delight to know that honey does work. In fact, honey has been used since times immemorial to not only keep the hair healthy, but also to lighten hair, and make highlights as desired.
Honey has an enzyme that produces small traces of hydrogen peroxide, a widely accepted hair bleaching agent. You shouldn’t however expect drastic results as you would get using a synthetic dye. You may have to apply honey onto your hair several times before you can get the desired results.
How to Use Honey to Lighten Hair
While honey can be applied directly onto your hair, it helps to mix it with water in order to thin it and make spreading it on your hair easy.
- In a small bowl, mix honey and water in the ratio of 4:1. For example, you can add a tablespoon of water to 4 tablespoons of honey. You can as well use apple cider vinegar in the place of water; in which case the apple cider vinegar acts like a conditioner.
- Apply the mixture using your finger and massage it gently into your hair. Continue until all your hair is covered with honey if you want the whole head of hair lightened; otherwise apply on the hair strands (or locks) in the parts of the head for which lightening is desired.
- Cover your hair using a shower cap or plastic wrap and leave it as such for 2 to 3 hours. If possible, let the plastic wrap or the shower cap intact overnight for best results.
- Rinse your hair with warm water to wash the honey off before shampooing and conditioning your hair as you normally do. Finally dry your hair by patting it gently with a towel or using a blow dryer.
- Voila: That is all it takes to use honey to lighten your hair. Your hair will at this stage have a shade of color similar to that of honey.
How to Lighten Dyed Hair with Honey
So you saw a lady wearing a red highlight (or reddish shade) at the mall and thought how fancy she looks. You can create red highlights to lighten hair that you dyed. You too can achieve the same results using honey and Jamaican sorrel or hibiscus. Here is how to lighten dyed hair using honey:
- To a saucepan containing 2 cups of water, add 2 cups of fresh or dried Jamaican sorrel.
- Heat the mixture to a boil
- Allow the sorrel to soak for 2 to 4 hours, but if possible leave it overnight
- Strain to obtain the resulting liquid and mix it with 2 tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of cinnamon
- Apply the paste onto your hair and massage gently
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or a plastic wrap for 1 to 2 hours before rinsing it
Depending on the hue desired, you can also use the following ingredients in the place of Jamaican sorrel:
-Reddish hue: Henna powder or ground coffee
-Strawberry hue: Hibiscus petals
How to Naturally Lighten Hair with Honey, Lemon, Cinnamon & Conditioner
Honey is a fantastic natural remedy that works great in lightening hair. But for even better and/or faster results, you may want to consider a combination of lemon (a very popular natural remedy to lighten hair), ground cinnamon, and deep natural conditioner.
To make this natural combination, you will need a small bowl or basin, a cup of honey, 2 tablespoons of cinnamon, a cup of deep natural hair conditioner, and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Pour all the ingredients into the basin and stir thoroughly
- Once the paste is well blended, apply it to wet hair and massage all over your hair or on the parts desired if you want to make light highlights on your hair
- Use a shower cap or a plastic wrap to cover your hair with the paste still on and leave it on for 2 to 3 hours, or overnight if possible
- Wash the paste off with water and pat your hair dry with a towel
- Repeat as required to get the desired results
How to Lighten Dark Hair with Honey Fast
Honey is a versatile ingredient and if you read around you will find it used in multiple combinations to lighten hair. Here are some more options that you can use it to lighten dark hair with honey:
Honey + Olive oil
You may consider using a combination of honey and olive oil in a ratio of 1:1 and applying them as you would apply honey alone (see instructions above). Some people also add half a banana as the third ingredient to nourish the hair.
Honey + Conditioner
Another great way to lighten dark hair with honey is to add some honey into the bottle of your regular hair conditioner. Shake the mixture thoroughly and use the conditioner as usual after shampooing.
Although some people recommend mixing honey and hydrogen peroxide, you should not use it for black and very dark brown hair; otherwise you may end up with an orange shade that you may not like.
How to Lighten Brown Hair with Honey
Wondering how to lighten brown hair with honey? Well, this is as easy as preparing a honey solution (by mixing honey with water) and applying it to your hair as explained in the section above. You may also want to use honey along side other ingredients in various combinations such as:
- Honey and apple cider vinegar
- Honey and hydrogen peroxide: Honey contains enzymes that produce hydrogen peroxide, the substance responsible for the bleaching effect on hair. Mixing honey with hydrogen peroxide improves its effectiveness and is a great way to achieve drastic results.
- Honey and conditioner (discussed above)
- Honey and Jamaican sorrel – gives your hair a red highlight
More on Bleaching Hair
- How to Lighten Brown Hair Gradually
- Best Hair Lightener, Organic and Homemade
- How to Lighten Dark Brown Hair
- Best DIY Hair Lightening Spray for Brunettes
- Best Hair Lightening Shampoo
- Top 5 Natural Hair Lighteners
- Best Products for Dark Hair Lightening
- How to Bleach Arm Hair
- How to Lighten Colored Hair