What is the best natural hair lightener? Can you use natural hair bleaches for black hair, blonde hair, for brunettes and other types of hair? Here’s a list of best natural hair lightener including honey, lemon juice, chamomile tea, with recipes included.
What are some of the best natural hair lighteners for black hair? Which is the best natural hair lightener for blondes? What options do brunettes have in as far as hair lighteners are concerned? Does any one of these questions sound familiar to you? If that is so, then this article is for you. We will discuss several natural hair lighteners that have been shown to give great results.
Natural Hair Lightener for Dark Hair – Honey
Honey is a splendid natural hair lightener for dark hair (and any shade of hair for that matter). Honey contains an enzyme that produces small amounts of hydrogen peroxide, which is the compound responsible for the bleaching effect. Honey also moisturizes and nourishes your hair leaving it healthier.
Here is how to lighten your hair with honey natural hair lightener:
- Prepare your honey: Honey is typically very thick and may be somewhat difficult to apply to the hair. It is suggested that you mix your honey with enough water to make it easy to apply yet not drippy. A honey to water ratio of 4:1 is generally advised.
- Apply to your hair: Allow the honey mixture between 30 and 60 minutes before applying it to your hair with your fingers. Massage it all over the hair as needed.
- Cover your hair with a plastic shower cap: Now use a plastic shower cap or wrap to cover your hair for at least 2 hours. If you can, leave the plastic cap on overnight. This helps the honey to set in and lighten your hair. If you have long hair, you can use clips to twist it up.
Wash your hair: After 2 hours (or in the morning), wash the honey out with warm water and then shampoo and condition your hair as you normally do.
There you have it! That is how to lighten dark hair with honey. Your hair will lighten to the color of honey.
Natural Hair Lightener for Blondes – Lemon Juice Method
If you have naturally black hair, you may want to try using lemon juice. Lemon juice is a fantastic natural hair lightener for black hair and is a great bet if you are looking to get that sun-kissed look but would rather not take a visit to the salon. Above all, lemon juice treatment is cheap and easy to use.
Below is the procedure on how to use lemon juice to lighten hair:
Prepare a lemon juice solution: Squeeze out ½ cup of fresh lemon juice and pour it into a small basin. Mix it with ½ cup of water and then pour the resulting solution into a spray bottle.
- Wet your hair: Wash your hair in the showed and pat it with a towel to remove the excess water. Leave it a bit damp to minimize the drying effect of lemon juice.
- Spray the lemon juice: Now apply the lemon juice onto your hair as desired. If you only want to make highlights, spray on the areas where a lighter shade is desired.
- Get some sun: Sit in the sun for 30 to 60 minutes. The sun activates the citric acid in the lemon juice and helps to enhance the lightening effect of the lemon juice. It is advisable to use sunscreen to protect your body from getting sunburn while in the sun.
- Rinse your hair with cool water until the sticky feel of the lemon juice is no more. Now shampoo and deep condition your hair as normal.
Natural Hair Lightener for Brown Hair – Chamomile Tea
Honey and lemon juice can also be used to lighten brown hair. Let’s now look at another natural hair lightening method; using chamomile tea.
For this method of hair lightening, you require chamomile tea either in the form of tea bags or dried flowers.
- Add some water in a small pot and then drop 2 to 3 chamomile tea bags (or a few dried petals).
- Bring to a boil and allow the content to simmer for 30 minutes to increase the strength of the tea.
- Now strain the mixture to obtain chamomile ea solution and use it to rinse your hair after washing or shampooing it.
- Head out to the sun till the hair gets dry. You can stay in the sun for as long as you want since, unlike lemon juice, chamomile tea is less drying on the hair.
Natural Hair Lightener Recipe
You can also consider mixing various natural ingredients to make a more powerful at-home hair lightener. Here is one natural hair-lightening recipe you may want to try:
- 1 cup Honey
- 2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup natural deep conditioner (to moisturize the hair)
Steps to Bleach Hair with this Recipe
- In a small basin, pour all the above ingredients and stir them well till thoroughly blended
- Wash your hair in the shower and pat with a towel to remove excess water. Ensure that the hair is still somewhat damp
- Apply the mixture all over your hair if you want to lighten the whole head of hair or on the parts where highlights are desired
- Wear a plastic shower cap (or plastic wrap) for at least 2 hours to allow the mixture to set in. the longer you leave it on the better.
- Wash your hair with cool water
- Repeat the process if further lightening is desired
Natural Hair Lightener for Brunettes
It is often tricky to lighten very dark hair since there is always the risk of getting orange and brassy shades instead of blonde. Brunettes with very dark hair should ideally try out the natural hair lightener they intend to use on a small section of the hair first to see the results they get.
Rhubarb and Henna powder are some of the best natural hair lighteners for brunettes. They rank among the stronger remedies to lighten hair naturally.
Best Natural Hair Lightener
Wondering what is the best hair lightener? Well, lemon juice is perhaps the best and most popular natural hair lightener. It has been used for almost as long as hair lightening has been the aspiration of man. It is so popular that these days there are even commercial lemon juice sprays such as Sun-In are.
Lemon juice and sun make a great combo, so it is advisable to get some sun after using lemon juice to lighten your hair. Honey comes in a close second position. The good thing about honey is that it works on literally any shade of hair color.
There you go! You now know some of the best choices for natural hair lightener. Have fun trying them out.
More on Bleaching Hair
- How to Lighten Hair without Bleach
- Using Lemon Juice to Lighten Hair
- How to Bleach Hair with Cinnamon
- Hydrogen Peroxide for Hair Lightening
- Lighten Hair Fast and Naturally
- How to Lighten Henna Dyed Hair
- Dark Hair Bleaching Tips
- How to Use Honey to Lighten Hair
- Home Remedies for Hair Lightening